Rip Van Winkle
Washington Irving was a well-known American author who wrote a number of stories about the newly-independent United States. One of Irving’s more famous short stories, “Rip Van Winkle,” appears in his 1819 collection of tales called The Sketch Book. “Rip Van Winkle” concerns a character, Rip Van Winkle, who drinks some ale, which causes him to fall asleep in the woods of New York state for twenty years. He awakens to a changed world.
LINCCWeb online catalog – Search Terms
- Irving, Washington (Subject)
- Rip Van Winkle (Title)
Call Numbers for Browsing the Shelves
- PS121 .Y64
- PS2050 - PS2088
Circulating Books – A Selected List
- Bowden, Mary. Washington Irving. 1981.
- Hedges, William. Washington Irving: An American Study, 1802-1832. 1980.
- Call Number: PS2088 .H4 1980
- Irving, Washington. Complete Tales of Washington Irving. 1998.
- Irving, Washington. Rip Van Winkle. 1968.
- Call Number: PS2068 .A1 1968
- Irving, Washington. The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent.1968.
- Call Number: PS2066 .A1 1968
- Young, Philip. American Fiction, American Myth. 2000.
- Call Number: PS121 .Y64 2000
- Critical Survey of Short Fiction. – Call Number: REF PN3321 .C7 2001
- Literature and Its Times. – Call Number: REF PN50 .L574 1997
- Masterplots II: Short Story Series. – Call Number: REF PN3326 .M27 2004
- Nineteenth-Century Literature Criticism. – Call Number: REF PN761 .N5
- Vol. 2, pgs. 366-368, 376-392
- Vol. 19, pgs. 327-350
- Vol. 95, pgs. 227-250, 265, 283, 286, 300
- Short Stories for Students. – Call Number: REF PN3330 .S386
- Short Story Criticism. – Call Number: REF PN3321 .S5
- Vol. 2, pgs. 239-264
- Vol. 37, pgs. 273-280
- Vol. 104, pgs. 242-261, 273-317, 327, 346-350, 379-384
Electronic Research Databases
To access Valencia’s research databases, open your Atlas account, select ‘Search the Library’, then select ‘Databases A-Z’.
- Academic Search Complete
- Literature Resources from Gale
- OmniFile Full Text Mega
This Research Guide is designed to help users find information on a particular topic within the Valencia College East Campus Library. This is by no means a comprehensive list of resources and other resources may be available on this topic. Please check LINCCWeb, Valencia East’s online catalog, to verify the availability of circulating books within the library. Feel free to ask a librarian for help if you need further assistance.