The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County
(The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County)
The short story, “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County”, by Mark Twain (Samuel Langhorne Clemens) was first published in 1865 in the New York Saturday Press under the title “Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog.” Simon Wheeler resides at Angel’s Camp, a northern California mining settlement, and tells the narrator a story about Jim Smiley, a former resident of Angel’s Camp. Jim caught a frog and took it home to educate. A stranger saw Jim’s frog, named Daniel Webster, and asked what he was good for. Jim explained that Daniel Webster could out-jump any frog in Calaveras County. The stranger declared that he would bet with Smiley, if he had a frog. Jim took that bet, and wagered forty dollars. Smiley went off to the swamp to look for another frog. In Smiley’s absence, the stranger pried open Daniel Webster’s mouth and filled him full of quail shot. When Smiley returned with the other frog, both frogs were placed on the ground, and each was given a push. The new frog hopped off immediately, but Daniel Webster remained behind. The stranger collected his forty dollars and readily departed.
LINCCWeb online catalog – Search Terms
- Mark Twain (Author Keywords)
- Mark Twain - Criticism and Interpretation (Subject Keywords)
Call Numbers for Browsing the Shelves
Circulating Books – A Selected List
- Messent, Peter. The Short Works of Mark Twain: A Critical Study. 2001.
Call Number: PS1338 .M48 2001
- Miller, Robert Keith. Mark Twain. 1983.
Call Number: PS1338 .M5 1983
- Sloane, David E. E. Student Companion to Mark Twain. 2001.
Call Number: PS1338 .S56 2001
- Twain, Mark. Complete Short Stories of Mark Twain. 1981.
Call Number: PS1300 .N4 1981
- Wilson, James D. A Reader’s Guide to the Short Stories of Mark Twain. 1987.
Call Number: PS1338 .W5 1987
- Critical Survey of Short Fiction. 2nd Revised Ed. – Call Number: REF PN3321 .C7 2001
o Vol. 6, pg. 2361
- Literature and Its Times – Call Number: REF PN50 .L574 1997
o Vol. 2, pg. 249-54
- Mark Twain: The Contemporary Reviews – Call Number: REF PS1338 .M298 1999
o Pg. 25 - 31
- Masterplots II: Short Story Series (Revised Edition) – Call Number: REF PN3326 .M27 1986
o Vol. 1, pg. 563-565
- Short Story Criticism – Call Number: REF PN3321 .S5
o Vol. 6, pg. 300, 309-12, 316-21
o Vol. 26, pg. 357
o Vol. 34, pg 288-346
- Short Stories for Students – Call Number: REF PN3330 .S386
o Vol. 1, pg. 16-31
To access Valencia’s research databases, open your Atlas account, select ‘Search the Library’, then select ‘Databases A-Z’.
- Academic Search Complete
- Literature Resources from Gale
This Research Guide is designed to help users find information on a particular topic within the Valencia College East Campus Library. This is by no means a comprehensive list of resources and other resources may be available on this topic. Please check the LINCCWeb, Valencia East’s online catalog, to verify the availability of circulating books within the library. Feel free to ask a librarian for help if you need further assistance.
Valencia College East Campus Library
Last Revised on September 1, 2009