The Color Purple (the 1985 movie)
Based on Alice Walker’s third novel, The Color Purple was directed by Steven Spielberg and released in 1985. Essentially about the triumph of good over evil, this film follows the book’s story line fairly closely. This film is about the experiences of young African American women and explores the theme of ‘double repression’ of black women in American culture – repression by white society in general and then again by black men.
Circulating Books – A Selected List
· Ferrell, William K. Literature and Film as Modern Mythology. 2000. Call Number: PN1995.3 .F47 2000
· Taylor, Philip M. Steven Spielberg: The Man, His Movies, and Their Meaning. 1992. Call Number: PN1998.3 .S65 T39 1992
· Walker, Alice. Same River Twice: Honoring the Difficult: A Meditation on Life, Spirit, Art, and the Making of the Film, The Color Purple, Ten Years Later. 1996. Call Number: PS3573 .A425 Z47 1996
· Warner Brothers. The Color Purple. (Videorecording). 1997. Call Number: PN1997 .C64 1997
LINCCWeb online catalog – Search Terms
· Color Purple (Title Keywords)
· Spielberg, Steven (Subject Keywords)
· Walker, Alice (Subject Keywords)
· Encyclopedia of Novels into Film – Call Number: REF PN1997.85 .T54 1998
o Pg. 68-69.
· Magill’s Cinema Annual – Call Number: REF PN1993.3 .M34 1986
o 1986 Annual, pg. 105-10.
· Motion Picture Guide – Call Number: REF PN1995 .N346 1986
o 1986 Annual, pg. 36-37.
· New York Times Film Reviews – Call Number: REF PN1995 .N4
o 1985-86, December 18, 1985, pg. 181-82, and January 5, 1986, pg. 194-95.
To access Valencia’s research databases, open your Atlas account, select ‘Search the Library’, then select ‘Databases A-Z’.
· Academic Search Complete
· Film & Television Literature Index
This Research Guide is designed to help users find information on a particular topic within the Valencia College East Campus Library. This is by no means a comprehensive list of resources and other resources may be available on this topic. Please check LINCCWeb, Valencia East’s online catalog, to verify the availability of circulating books within the library. Feel free to ask a librarian for help if you need further assistance.
Valencia College East Campus Library
Last Revised on April 12, 2005