Deliverance (1972) is British director John Boorman's gripping, action-adventure film about four suburban Atlanta businessmen who encounter disaster in a summer weekend's river-canoeing trip. It was one of the first films with the theme of city-dwellers against the powerful forces of nature. The exciting box-office hit, most remembered for its inspired banjo duel and brutal violent action, was based on James Dickey's adaptation of his own 1970 best-selling novel (his first) of the same name. Dickey contributed the screenplay and acted in a minor part as the town sheriff.
Call Numbers for Browsing the Shelves
- Bloom, Harold (Ed.). James Dickey. 1987.
Call Number: PS3554.I32 Z74 1987
- Calhoun, Richard James. James Dickey. 1983.
Call Number: PS3554.I32 Z59 1983
LINCCWeb online catalog – Search Terms-(Keywords Anywhere)
- Curran, D. Guide to American Cinema: 1965-1995 Call Number: REF PN1993.5.U6
o pg. 85-86
- Hanson, P.K. Magill’s Survey of Cinema: Eng. Language Films, First Series (A-EAS)
Call Number: REF PN1995.M3 V.1
o Pg. 432-435
- International Dictionary of Films & Filmmakers – Call Number: REF PN1997.8.I58
o Vol. 1, pg. 232-233
o Vol. 2, pg. 82-84
- Katz, E. The Film Encyclopedia – Call Number: REF PN1993.45.K34 2005
o 5th Ed. Pg. 157
- Nash, J. & Ross, J. The Motion Picture Guide: C-D 1927-1983 – Call Number: REF
PN1995.N346 1985V.2 (C-D)
o Vol.2, Pg. 616
- The New York Times Film Reviews. 1971-1972. Call Number: REF PN1995.N4
o Pg. 291
o Pg. 299-300
- Tibbets, J. C. & Welsh, J.M. (Eds.). The Encyclopedia of Novels into Films – Call
Number: REF PN1997.85.T54 2005
o Pg. 94-95
- Thompson, D. A Biographical Dictionary of Film 1996. Call Number:
REF PN1998.A2 T55 1994
o Pg. 75-77
To access Valencia’s research databases, open your Atlas account, select ‘Search the Library’, then select ‘Databases A-Z’.
- Film & Television Literature Index with Full Text
- New York Times Historical
This Research Guide is designed to help users find information on a particular topic within the Valencia College East Campus Library. This is by no means a comprehensive list of resources and other resources may be available on this topic. Please check LINCCWeb, Valencia East’s online catalog, to verify the availability of circulating books within the library. Feel free to ask a librarian for help if you need further assistance.