Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
***NOTE: Valencia College's online tutoring will be closed for Spring Break from March 8th through March 14th. Students will still have access to tutoring through Smarthinking.***
Live Writing Assistance - Click here to work with one of our Valencia writing tutors on any writing assignment for any course. Once you have joined, you will be greeted by a moderator to get connected with a tutor.
Click here to review our Student Guidelines and Expectations before meeting with a tutor.
- The goal of Learning Support is to help every student become an independent learner. By following the guidelines below, students will cultivate independent problem-solving skills and help maintain a positive learning community.
- I (the student) understand when I attend an online tutoring session, I will engage in the session by asking questions to help me better understand the topic being discussed by listening to the tutor and observing the virtual white board and chat.
- I will show respect to all students, staff, and faculty in the online tutoring space. I will wait my turn for help and not interrupt the tutor while they are helping another student. I understand that the online tutoring sessions are open to all students, and I may not be the only student participating.
- I will come prepared with my notes, textbook, and any other class materials from my professor. This will guide the tutor in providing the most appropriate assistance.
- I will come with specific questions or concepts that I need help with.
- I will show that I have attempted the work on my own before asking for help. The tutor may suggest that I work on sample problems and return later for additional help and to check my understanding of the concept.
- I will be engaged and active in my discussions with the tutor. I may be asked to complete additional readings or problems to supplement my learning.
- The tutor will not do my work for me. Attending tutoring does not guarantee a passing grade. However, participating in academic support like tutoring or group study sessions helps students develop a deeper understanding of course content.
- I will not plagiarize. This includes but is not limited to presenting someone else's work or ideas as my own, cheating, furnishing false information, alteration or misuse of documents, and misuse of identification with intent to defraud or deceive (see Student Code of Conduct policy 6Hx28:10-16).
- I will abide by Valencia College's Student Code of Conduct. https://catalog.valenciacollege.edu/academicpoliciesprocedures/studentcodeofconduct/
Submit a writing assignment for help in any part of the writing process for any writing assignment in any course. Once logged in using your Atlas username and password, please use the Submit My Writing option. You will receive feedback within three (3) business days.
Click here to review the Smarthinking Writing Assignment Submission Guidelines before submitting an assignment for review.
- Provide as much information about the assignment as possible. Tutors need context in order to give you strong advice. Feel free to copy and paste any and all instructions at the top of the document you submit.
- Do your best to explain what you want to achieve. It helps to think about the part of the writing process you're in: are you still in the midst of organizing your main points or are you in the polishing stage?
- Ask follow-up & clarifying questions. Tutors can see your previous submissions to Smarthinking, so they can respond to questions about the previous draft or the feedback you got from the previous tutor.
- Remember that writing is a process. Writing can't be completed effectively all at once or in a jumble of advice/revisions. Our tutors are trained to provide you with 1 - 3 main areas of feedback/revision per response.
- Use live Zoom tutoring for earlier stages of the writing process such as understanding the assignment, brainstorming, thesis development, and essay structure because those topics rely on a back-and-forth discussion between you and the tutor. Smarthinking paper submissions, on the other hand, shine during later stages of the writing process, such as when you have a typed-up outline or a completed draft to review.
HOURS OF OPERATION - SPRING 2021
- Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 10:00pm
- Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 7:00pm
Submit An Assignment
- Submit an assignment for feedback at any time. A tutor will review your submission and provide feedback within three (3) business days.
Click here to find a specific tutor or one that can speak another language using the key below (All designations in parenthesis after staff name and separated by commas).
|PERT = PERT
||AAF = AAF
||A = Arabic
||ASL = American Sign Language
||B = Bengali
|Bu = Burmese
||C = Creole
||D = Dutch
||Fa = Farci
||Fr = French
|G = Gujarati
||H = Hindi
||I = Italian
||J = Japanese
||MA = Moroccan Arabic
|P = Portuguese
||Pe = Persian
||R = Russian
||S = Spanish
||T = Telugu