A Raisin in the Sun
The play A Raisin in the Sun, by Lorraine Hansberry, first opened on Broadway in 1959. The play deals with what an African-American family, the Youngers, should do with a financial windfall that they have just received. The themes of this acclaimed play concern racism, human dignity, and the hopes and dreams of all people.
LINCCWeb online catalog – Search Terms
- Lorraine Hansberry (Keywords Anywhere)
- Raisin in the Sun (Keywords Anywhere)
Call Numbers for Browsing the Shelves
Circulating Books – A Selected List
- Carter, Steven R. Hansberry’s Drama: Commitment amid Complexity. 1991.
Call Number: PS3515 .A515 Z57 1991
- Cheney, Anne. Lorraine Hansberry. 1984.
Call Number: PS3515 .A515 Z6 1984
- Hansberry, Lorraine. A Raisin in the Sun. 1995.
Call Number: PS3515 .A515 R3 1995
- Kappel, Lawrence (ed.). Readings on A Raisin in the Sun. 2001.
Call Number: PS3515 .A515 R3385 2001
- Black Literature Criticism – Call Number: REF PS153 .N5 B556 1992
o Vol. 2, pg. 952-973
- Contemporary Literary Criticism – Call Number: REF PN771 .C59
o Vol. 17, pg. 182-192
o Vol. 62, pg. 211-247
- Critical Survey of Drama, 2nd Revised Edition – Call Number: REF PN1625 .C68 2003
o Vol. 3, pg. 1527-1528
- Drama Criticism – Call Number: REF PN1625 .D72
o Vol. 2, pg. 241-262
- Drama for Students – Call Number: REF PN1601 .D595 1998
o Vol. 2, pg. 181-198
- Literature and Its Times – Call Number: REF PN50 .L574 1997
o Vol. 4, pg. 309-315
- Masterplots II,African-American Literature, Revised Edition – Call Number: REF PS153 .N5 M2645 2009
o Vol. 4, pg. 1588-1592
To access Valencia’s research databases, open your Atlas account, select ‘Search the Library’, then select ‘Databases A-Z’.
Films on Demand- Database
- A Raisin in the Sun: Character Studies Conversations (Full Video)
- DESCRIPTION: Hosted by Eric Stoltz, this program dissects Lorraine Hansberry’s A Raisin in the Sun through the sharp insights of Joe Morton (Walter Lee Younger); Kim Yancey (Beneatha Younger); Phylicia Rashad (Lena Younger); Ruby Dee, Audra McDonald, Starletta DuPois, and Ernestine Jackson (Ruth Younger); Ralph Carter (Travis Younger); John Fiedler (Carl Lindner); directors Lloyd Richards and Jack Hofsiss; Broadway producer Philip Rose; and Hansberry expert Lynn Domina, author of Understanding A Raisin in the Sun: A Student Casebook to Issues, Sources, and Historical Documents. The first play to realistically portray the daily lives of a contemporary African-American family, Raisin—a revolutionary work about race written during the civil rights era—makes the universal statement that dreams of a better future are important to everyone. A viewable/printable instructor’s guide is available online. A Films for the Humanities & Sciences Production. (51 minutes)
This Research Guide is designed to help users find information on a particular topic within the Valencia College East Campus Library. This is by no means a comprehensive list of resources and other resources may be available on this topic. Please check LINCCWeb, Valencia East’s online catalog, to verify the availability of circulating books within the library. Feel free to ask a librarian for help if you need further assistance.