Casablanca (the 1942 movie)
Casablanca, which was first shown in 1942, is a classic Academy Award-winning film, starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman. It was directed by Michael Curtiz. The plot of this great movie centers around Rick Blaine (Bogart), an American who runs the Café Americain in World War II-era Casablanca, Morocco. A former lover, Ilsa Lund Laszlo (Bergman), runs into Rick there and inspires him to help her and her French Resistance member-husband escape from the Nazis.
LINCCWeb online catalog – Search Term
Call Numbers for Browsing the Shelves
Circulating Books and Films – A Selected List
- Donald, Ralph. Hollywood Enlists!: Propaganda Films of World War II. 2017.
- Call Number: D743.23 .D66 2017
- Curtiz, Michael (Director). Casablanca. 1988.
- Call Number: PN1995.9 .F54 C352 1988 (VHS – in Audio-Visual Dept.) – (non-circulating)
- Curtiz, Michael (Director). Casablanca. 1999.
- Call Number: PN1995.9 .F54 C352 1999 (DVD)
- Ebert, Roger. The Great Movies. 2002.
- Call Number: PN1994 .E23 2002 (See pages 99-103.)
- Engelmeier, Peter (Ed.). Icons of Film: The 20th Century. 2000.
- Call Number: PN1993.5 .A1 I25 2000 (See pages 42-43.)
- Geiger, Jeffrey (Ed.). Film Analysis: A Norton Reader. 2005.
- Call Number: PN1994 .F43814 2005 (See pages 362-379.)
- Lopate, Phillip (Ed.). American Movie Critics: An Anthology From the Silents Until Now. 2006.
- Call Number: PN1995 .A448 2006 (See pages 209-220.)
- Ray, Robert. A Certain Tendency of the Hollywood Cinema, 1930-1980. 1985.
- Call Number: PN1993.5 .U6 R38 1985 (See pages 89-112.)
- Plath, James. Casablanca. 2016.
- Call Number: PN1997.C352 C37 2016
- Brown, Richard; Epstein, Philip G.; Koch, Howard.; Epstein, Julius J., Casablanca: Script and Legend. 1992.
- Call Number: PN1997.C352 1992
- AMC Classic Movie Companion. – Call Number: REF PN1998 .C48 1999
- Films by Genre. – Call Number: REF PN1998 .L63 1993
- Pages 51, 70, 71, 180, 260, 318
- Motion Picture Guide. – Call Number:REF PN1995 .N346 1985
- New York Times Film Reviews. – Call Number: REF PN1995 .N4 1939-48
- 1939-1948, pages 1904-1905
- Magill’s Survey of Cinema. – Call Number: REF PN1995 .M3
To access Valencia’s research databases, open your Atlas account, select ‘Search the Library’, then select ‘Databases A-Z’.
*(Search the databases using the terms Casablanca and Bogart or Casablanca and Bergman.)
Films on Demand Database
- Golden Era of Hollywood (SEGMENT)
- From Title: Michael Curtiz
- DESCRIPTION: Curtiz made a series of World War II themed films before filming "Yankee Doodle Dandy," which began shooting the day of the attack on Pearl Harbor. "Casablanca," earned Curtiz his first Oscar. "Passage to Marseille" predated "Inception" and created many of the "flashback" troupes used in the film.
This Research Guide is designed to help users find information on a particular topic within the Valencia College East Campus Library. This is by no means a comprehensive list of resources and other resources may be available on this topic. Please check LINCCWeb, Valencia East’s online catalog, to verify the availability of circulating books within the library. Feel free to ask a librarian for help if you need further assistance.
Valencia College East Campus Library
Last Revised on November 20, 2021