Page Header Contents
- Running Head - short title of paper at the top left of each page, written in all capital letters.
- Page Numbers - located at the top right of each page.
The running head is a shortened version of your paper's title and cannot exceed 50 characters including spacing and punctuation.
To add a running head in Microsoft Word:
1. Double click in the header area at the top of the document.
2. In the Header & Footer tools "Design" tab, check the box Different First Page.
3. In the header, type Running head: followed by a shortened version of your title written in all capital letters.
4. Scroll to the (or create a) second page to your document.
5. If not already selected, double click in the header to select it and type the same running head that was on the title page, but leave out preceding Running head: part.
To insert page numbers in Microsoft Word:
1. Place your cursor to the right of the running head and press the Tab button on your keyboard twice.
2. Click the "Insert" tab in the top menu.
3. Select Page Number, then "Current Position," and choose Plain Number from the options.
4. On the second page, Select Page Number, then "Current Position," choose Plain Number from the
options. The page number will show up with a consecutive number in every page in the header.
5. Remember to change the font size and style of headers to 12 pt. Times New Roman font.
Click here for a sample APA paper.