Welcome, faculty! This is a guide to embedding library resources and services in your online course.
Should you need assistance with any of these tools or resources, please contact your librarian liaison.
You can embed an entire LibGuide, a LibGuide page, or a LibGuide box in your Canvas course. Here's how:
Curriculum Builder is a tool offered by EBSCO that allows you to curate readings from library databases within Canvas.
Faculty members can easily add library resources to Canvas courses.
Librarians have developed many handouts, pages and modules you can import into your course from the Canvas Commons. Here's how to find them:
Research Workshops is a self-enroll course that offers live Zoom sessions and self-paced modules to help students with their research assignments. Each session and module focuses on a different component of the research process and provides practical information and tips that students can incorporate into their papers or projects.
Research Workshops works as a companion to research assignments. Faculty may assign students the entire course to complete or select specific modules or live sessions. Upon completion of a module or attendance at a live session, students will take an assessment in order to earn a badge. The badges are stored within the course and can be used to verify that module or live session requirements have been met.
Here’s how it works:
1. Instructors are encouraged to enroll before assigning the course to students. This will provide an opportunity to view the modules and live sessions to see which topics will help students the most with your assignment.
2. The self enroll link is the same for both instructors and students; follow the link below.
3. Instructors share the Research Workshops self-enroll course link with students.
4. Students enroll in the course and complete the assigned modules or attend a specific live session. They will earn the appropriate badges.
5. Students submit the badges as proof to their instructor that they have completed the assignment.
There are several options for integrating library instruction in your online course. A recommended way is to "embed" a librarian by adding them to your Canvas course in the "Librarian" role.
Please download the following handout:
Students can connect with a librarian via live chat, e-mail or text using Ask a Librarian. You can provide a link to Ask a Librarian in your course.