Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This LibGuide provides an overview of making personal connections through social networking. Social networking, when done intelligently and intentionally, can lead to personal, academic, and career success. By the end of this lesson you will be able to:
- Understand how to build valuable personal and professional connections.
- Understand the importance of one's own image and how one may be perceived.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills by networking and connecting with diverse groups.
- On the page titled "Network"
- Read about the importance of strong and weak ties.
- Do Activity #1 - Watch "Networking for the Networking Averse" video and respond to the Pause & Reflect questions.
- On the page titled "Faux Pas"
- Read about social media mistakes and tips to avoid them.
- On the page titled "Brand"
- Read about the benefits of creating a personal brand and how employers view your brand.
- Do Activity #2 – Read "What 80% of Employers do Before Inviting You For An Interview" article and respond to the Pause & Reflect questions.
- On the page titled "LinkedIn"
- Read about tips for LinkedIn best practices.
- On the page titled "Co-Curricular"
- Download and complete the Personal Connection Co-Curricular Reflection assignment to be submitted in Blackboard.
To proceed to the next topic, click the "Network" tab above.